DvD Translations presents:
Stage & Difficulty Select
Patch Released: October 10, 2021
This is NOT a translation.
Ninja Gaiden was already localized for the North American market.
Although the game allows infinite continues, it is notoriously difficult to pass.
Unless you want to leave your NES on for days, weeks, or months, you'll probably never pass it.
This enhanced version of Ninja Gaiden was created to correct this problem.
It allows restarting the game where you left off by use of a stage select feature.
The game we have enhanced was the one originally released for the North American Nintendo Entertainment System in 1989.
Title Screen: Japanese, USA, and Enhanced
Stage Select Screen: Stage 6-2
"Ninja Gaiden" was the largest action game series made by Tecmo before they merged with Koei.
"Ninja Ryukenden", the original Famicom name of the game, meaning Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword, is the first game in the series.
Three games in total were made for the Famicom and all three were released for the NES.
All allow infinite continues but are still notoriously difficult to pass.
All three Ninja Gaiden games are themselves part of the parent series of Tecmo Theater games which were released for the Famicom,
designed to have high quality cut scenes.
Although Tecmo Theater Vol. 1 was also eventually released for the NES it was highly modified for the western market.
The other three Tecmo Theater games were not released outside of Japan.
After the Famicom, Ninja Gaiden games continued to be made for many systems. The first three games were ported to the SNES.
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 1 - Captain Tsubasa / Tecmo Cup - Soccer Game
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 2 - Ninja Ryukenden / Ninja Gaiden
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 3 - Ninja Ryukenden II - Ankoku no Jashin Ken / Ninja Gaiden II - The Dark Sword of Chaos
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 4 - Captain Tsubasa II - Super Striker
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 5 - Ninja Ryukenden III - Yomi no Hakobune / Ninja Gaiden III - The Ancient Ship of Doom
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 6 - Kyatto Ninden Teyandee
- Tecmo Theater Vol. 7 - Radia Senki - Reimei Hen
- Select any level to stage to start on. Simply press Left or Right at the
static title screen (the one that is shown after pressing Start once) to select the stage to start on.
The starting stage is clearly displayed below PUSH START.
- Cut scenes that normally are shown before a stage are shown if that stage is chosen as the starting stage.
For those who really want to cheat, all cut scenes except the ending can be shown this way by selecting the appropriate stage.
Since this wasn't the intent of this feature, the final scene cannot be selected this way; you still have to beat the final boss.
- The ability to make the game not screw you over when you die while fighting one of the forms of the final boss.
Normally, if Ryu dies while fighting any form of the final boss, the game forces the player to return to stage 6-1!
6-1 isn't that bad, but 6-2 is HELL, and not something you want to have to play over and over.
With the patch, when the game is started normally by pressing Start, dying while fighting any form of the final boss will still send Ryu back to 6-1.
But, if you don't wan't to be screwed over and would rather return to 6-3, simply hold down Select while pressing Start at the title screen to start the game.
- A number of grammer and punctuation fixes were added. Probably the most noticable are changing "SHINOBI" to "Shinobi" and "Ninja Dragon" to "Dragon Ninja".
The rest are things like changing some "the"s to "a"s, fixing capitalization, changing "." to ",", etc. This game has such a great script.
Great grammer keeps the reader from gettting distracted.
Japanese Box Front and Back
- Many more text corrections created
- Final version testing completed
- Website and patch released
- Modified to always go to Stage 6-3 when dying on the final boss
- Some text corrections created
- New hack to select 6-3 using the Select button added
- Play selected cut scene hack completed
- Title screen compression figured out
- Title screen hack complete
- Level select visual indication added
- First version complete; any level can be selected
- No visual indication
- Always shows the ACT I cut scene
Return to DvD Translations
Page Last Modified: October 10, 2020